Injection Moulding With Cycoloy
Cycoloy PC/ABS (Polycarbonate/Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) is a popular engineering thermoplastic created by combining Polycarbonate (PC) and Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS). Cycoloy resin inherits the high processability of ABS and the excellent mechanical properties and impact resistance of PC. Polycarbonate ABS has a host of unique qualities whose balance is affected by the ratio of polycarbonate to acrylonitrile butadiene styrene. The addition of thermoplastic additives and the polycarbonate’s molecular weight can also affect the properties of Cycoloy. The delicate balance of PC and ABS mainly affect the heat resistance of the final product.
This page is for informational purposes only. Fern Plastics provides injection moulding services and does not supply the material.
Properties of Cycoloy PC ABS
Cycoloy material is one of the most widely used polymer blends on the market thanks to the superb mechanical properties of the plastic. Cycoloy resin boasts the best qualities of ABS and PC and is often the material of choice when strength and aesthetic qualities are required. Cycoloy PC-ABS material offers a lot of flexibility for colouring or 3D printing, making it very popular with designers and the automotive industry.
- High dimensional stability
- High strength
- Excellent impact resistance
- Good heat resistance
- High toughness at low temperatures
- Low moisture absorption
- Low shrinkage
Benefits of Using Cycoloy Material in Plastic Injection Moulding
Cycoloy is available in a variety of grades that offer a range of features like varying heat performances and a wide range of colour choices for plastic injection moulding. The many qualities of ABS PC plastic make the grades of Cycoloy very beneficial in various applications. Some of the benefits of using Cycoloy resin include :
- Superior paint adhesion properties
- Outstanding aesthetic qualities
- Products made with certain grades of Cycoloy material make great candidates for use in the healthcare industry.
- Flame retardant properties
Common Cycoloy Uses
Cycoloy resin is an excellent choice of ABS PC plastic when the cosmetic appearance and durability of the product are essential. Fern Plastics supplies various grades of Cycoloy resin for use in very specific areas like telecommunications and automotive industries. The grades of Cycoloy material we supply include:
- Cycoloy C1200 – this blend maintains good processing qualities and is suitable for the most demanding types of applications like automotive components, internal and external parts for appliances and other applications that require high impact resistance.
- Cycoloy hc1204hf – the resin blend is biocompatible and is the ideal choice for medical and pharmaceutical applications.
- Cycoloy C2100 – a flame retardant blend formulated to a high standard to meet the strict requirements of any applications that carry an electrical current
Disadvantages of Cycoloy
The range of applications for Cycoloy resin is varied however there are some features of this thermoplastic that may be unsuitable for some applications. Some of the disadvantages of using Cycoloy include:
- Moderate chemical resistance
- Limited weathering resistance
- Limited moisture resistance
- Poor solvent resistance
Using Cycoloy for Your Plastic Injection Moulded Project
Cycoloy blends consist of some of the best qualities of PC/ABS making it a low-cost thermoplastic with a wide range of uses. Fern Plastics stocks a readily available supply of Cycoloy for all of your plastic injection moulding requirements.